Monday 2 September 2013

Setting Up the Classroom for a New Year of School


This year will be particularly special in that I will be teaching the Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program (FDK) for the first time.  In preparation for this new program I was fortunate enough to visit two FDK classrooms this past May and June. 

Both classrooms I visited were beautiful because student creations, discoveries and wonders were visible.  I noticed that the physical space of these two classrooms did not compete with the inquiries or learning taking place, but rather acted as a canvas. 

When I went to school this week to set up my class, I was eager to create a learning environment much like the FDK classrooms I had visited.  I had to remember though that the FDK classrooms I had seen were transformed into beautiful spaces over a period of a year, and with input from the classroom ECE and the children. 

Here are three things I did differently this year to set up my FDK classroom.

1.  I used craft paper on the cork boards instead of coloured background paper.  I noticed that the craft paper had an earthy colour to it that wouldn’t compete, but would complement student work to be displayed on it. 

2.  I didn’t fill the walls with store bought boarders or posters. I want to create an environment for students that is both authentic and natural looking.  I am making a conscious effort to only put up pieces that are meaningful to the kindergarten children (e.g. their own work).  

3.  I left lots of space for children to move, play and discover.  Creating space in the classroom meant that I had to say good-bye to some furniture I had previously collected.  


My classroom metamorphosis has just begun but is not complete.  I am looking forward to the transformation that will take place throughout the school year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment